What to Do When Death Occurs
What will I need to know?
How do I proceed?
When Death occurs
- Family or representative is notified by hospital or nursing home if they are not present at time of death.
- Morley Bedford is then contacted to arrange for the transfer to the funeral home.
- We can only proceed with our transfer services from the place of death once a doctor has prepared the Medical Certificate of Death.
- This is a 24 hour service provided by Morley Bedford and in many cases requires immediate attention. – one call to (416) 489-8733 is all that is required.
If Death occurs in a Hospital
- Remains are transferred to a hospital morgue facility
- Family calls Bedford to inform us of death and to authorize transfer from the hospital to Morley Bedford Funeral Home.
If Death Occurs in a Nursing Home
- There are circumstances when a family has arranged for the nursing home to notify Morley Bedford directly to perform the required transfer service.
- Morley Bedford will not proceed with any of the cremation or burial services until there has been authorization provided by the family or representative. (see Step 2)
If Death occurs at Home, who do you contact?
- If family contacts 911, it is the obligation of emergency services to dispatch ambulance, fire and police services.
- An option to avoid a 911 call is to contact your palliative care support or emergency number directly (if applicable) or speak to your family doctor for an emergency medical service support number.
Arrange services with Morley Bedford
Family Calls Bedford to arrange for an appointment
- Funeral arrangements can be made in person in the funeral home, one’s home, by telephone, email and fax.
“One Stop Arrangement”
Morley Bedford will oversee the arranging and co-ordination of all services. Be it a cremation without a formal service, Bedford Gathering or a full traditional funeral service, a Morley Bedford director will take care of all details for you.